[WSSSPE] Early look at CiteAs

Alice Allen alice.allen1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 13 10:19:11 PST 2017

Hi, Heather!

The ASCL includes a “Preferred citation” field, with the information in it coming from authors themselves via their repos, articles, correspondence, etc. IOW, what is listed in that field is an explicit declaration of the author’s preference for citation. I’m happy to share that data with you to incorporate into CiteAs if you’d like, but the real reason I write is that we have found that there is a wide variety of ways authors want their software cited, and looking at these different explicit citation methods might help your development efforts.

I beg people regularly to state how they want their software cited and to make that info easy to find. Someday, I hope they will do so! :-D CiteAs may help them along. If you want the data, please let me know; thanks!

Alice