[WSSSPE] Early look at CiteAs

Heather Piwowar heather at impactstory.org
Wed Dec 13 10:06:55 PST 2017

Hi all,

We are releasing a proof-of-concept webapp related to software citation,
and wanted to hear any thoughts you may have!

CiteAs <http://citeas.org> is a way to discover the correct citation for
diverse research products including software, datasets, preprints, and
traditional articles.  It's a small part of a collaborative grant between
Impactstory and James Howison at the University of Texas-Austin, funded by
the Sloan foundation.

The focus of this grant is to create a big database of research software,
automatically extracted from millions of open-access scholarly articles
using machine-learning techniques. Along with the database, we'll also make
three small prototype applications to show off how the data can be used in
cool ways. CiteAs is one of these applications.  We're still working on
creating the database. But while that's in progress, we thought it'd be
cool to release CiteAs, even though it still is missing the majority of
data it will ultimately use.

CiteAs maps from software to requested citations. CiteAs takes just about
any identifier (package name, website URL, DOI) about software and seeks
out the best citation.  The places CiteAs currently looks include:

   -

   CodeMeta files
   -

   Repository author information
   -

   GitHub README files for Zenodo DOIs
   -

   Structured citation metadata linked from project websites (BibTeX etc.)

More details here <http://citeas.org/sources>. Eventually we will show how
software has and is being mentioned in the literature.

Anyway, it is a prototype, but we'd love your thoughts!  http://citeas.org/

Feedback via GitHub issues:
https://github.com/Impactstory/citeas-api/issues

It's open source, there is an open API, etc! Links here
<http://citeas.org/about>.

Brand new twitter account:  http://twitter.com/citeas_org

More on the grant and related projects:
http://blog.impactstory.org/collaborating-635k-grant-improve-credit-research-software/